Wednesday 27 June 2012

Apps VS Rhythm Heaven - A Rant on the Mobile Platform

Having been a user of the Apple platform of devices for going on two years now, the amount of games I've played on the things can be counted on one hand.  All this time, the only games you'll find on my iPhone or iPad are Angry Birds, Chaos Rings, Superbrothers, Zenonia and Mega Mall Story.  There was also a demo of Cut the Rope but that was my girlfriend's pick and I barely touched it but I guess it counts. So there's six games in total.

This isn't a rant on how good/bad mobile games are compared with console/handheld games.  Angry Birds is a good as everyone says.  Cut the Rope is great, too.  Chaos Rings is a pretty little JRPG and a good game.  Superbrothers is a fantastic adventure game and Mega Mall Story was addictive while it lasted.  The only true disappointment was Zenonia, which featured a translation so childish that I was actually offended.

This rant is about depth.  Because as great as some of these app games are, most of them aren't too deep.  Angry Birds is just chucking fowls over and over, and Mega Mall Story got thin after you realize that there isn't that much freedom in the game.  Not the kind of freedom of a Sim City or Civilization.  So Chaos Rings had a lot of depth, but in the end, it's something that console games have been doing since the SNES days.  Does it really count as an 'app' game just because it is featured in the App Store?

Superbrothers is the only game that truly offers depth while pushing the creative envelope.  But so does Rhythm Heaven.  And that got me thinking.  Why isn't there a game like Rhythm Heaven (and it's Wii sibling Rhythm Heaven Fever) on the app side?  The game has enough depth, what with dozens of mini games and variations on each one.  There are even bonus unlockable games too, not to mention a ranking system for competing with yourself for the best performance.  For the sake of disclosure, I never beat Rhythm Heaven on DS, BUT, I did get gold on every mini event I played and that counts for me as depth - that I'm actually able to do this without getting bored.  Thing is, Rhythm Heaven is perfect as an app.  It's got a simple premise mixed in with some zany mini games all the to beat of some of the most catchy tunes you'll ever hear.  Isn't that what the mobile platform is all about?  Simple games bursting with creativity and music?  So why isn't there a Rhythm Heaven clone app?

Someone out there can set me straight, I'm sure.  There's got to be one out there that I just don't know about.  But that's the thing.  Why don't I know about it?  I mean, I know about Rhythm Heaven.  Played it too, and loved it.  When I first got my iPhone and iPad, I was checking the game releases week after week, seeking to see for myself what all this mobile hype was all about, and all I got was a disappointing mix of puzzle games, hidden picture games, word games and ports of popular console fare like Need for Speed.  Honestly, this wasn't what I signed up for.  Where's the simple, zany games with great music?  Couldn't find any.  Why is that?  Why are some potentially great games so hard to find?  And why are all the featured games so.... shallow.  I mean, I've seen Temple Run in action.  Not interested.

So my search goes on.  And while the apps have yet to offer more games for a grizzled game vet like myself, I can always rely on the good old consoles to deliver to me my entertainment.  For me, mobile games have a long way to go before catching up to the best that consoles have to offer.  It's just that, if consoles and handhelds can offer stuff like Rhythm Heaven, then why do I ever need to turn to apps?

Oh, and I lied.  I also bought Street Fighter IV for a buck on the App Store.  But that doesn't count.  Afterall, wasn't it done on consoles first?  And better besides?

5 comments:

  1. When you say Superbrothers, are you talking about Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery?

    When you say depth, what do you mean? When I think of depth in a game, I think of story, character development, added layers of gameplay. For Rhythm Heaven, I'd say it has added layers of gameplay (the different variations as you mentioned). Is that what you mean?

    I guess the thing to really define is: what makes a good app game? Should there be specific components, and if yes, what should they be?

    Don't mean to bombard you with so many questions: I've never played an mobile app game before, so I can't really say much about what an app game should be like (my phone is ancient as heck, but not as ancient as my sister's).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that App games don't offer much depth, and that's quite unfortunate :( But I think instead of expressing your disappointment only towards the developing side you should also consider that maybe these simple games are what the majority of the consumers want.

    Not to say that more companies shouldn't step out of the "safe zone", but from my experience and observations, quick and easy games are perfect as App games because they are usually played when someone has a few minutes to spare here and there (eg. ttc travel, or waiting in line).

    As for games like Rhythm Heaven which relies heavily on music for full enjoyment, it would be difficult to play in loud places, like the ttc, unless wearing headphones, or if you don't mind people glaring at you because of your loud music (trust me, I know people glare).

    On a semi positive note, my sister has told me that in Japan there are App games which seem to have more depth, so until those Apps come to Canada, you're gonna have to keep searching, or ask developers for games you'd like to see, who knows, maybe they'll listen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ironix

    Yes, I'm talking about Sword & Sworcery. Awesome game! And about the whole issue of depth, yeah, I wasn't being too definite on what that means, but it's like you said: story, characters, gameplay, all are important. But what I mean is.... there's just something... about a console game that just gives it more depth. It's hard to explain. I mean, if you look at the puzzle games on the mobile and something like Back to the Future: the Game... it just... it's just obvious which has more depth.

    The criteria for what makes a good or a bad app versus what makes a good or a bad console game is totally different. I really shouldn't be judging mobile on console terms, for vice versa. The only thing I can say is that the preference for me is strictly for the consoles.

    Thanks for the reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @flameinheaven

    I hope that those Japanese games you mention come over too!

    You make a good point with regards to the music games needing to be loud. Still, there are already a lot of people listening to tunes on their phones, so if they can do that at a volume that doesn't drive people nuts then they can play rhythm games too, I think. Still you are correct. Listening to a song isn't the same as playing to one, where if you can't hear the beat, the game isn't fun. Thanks for pointing that out.

    And yes, mobile and console are a different beast altogether. And yes, it was unfair to compare to two especially since they are made towards different audiences and purposes. But sometimes, I look at some of these games and.... well, with the exception of the really good ones like Angry Birds... I just don't see what 'the majority of consumers' see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Final fantasy series
    Ghost trick
    Ace attorney 123
    Good music games:
    jubeat/jukebeat
    Reflec beat
    Cytus
    Rhythmic
    O2jam
    Beat sneak bandit
    Customers are interested in very casual game, pick and game and leave. They don't care about depth, heck they don't even play games normally. Only people who has played a true rpg or other serious console games will have this feeling. Also keep in mind that all these games sell for cheap(majority below 5 dollars or free). I am sure you noticed that chaos rings is expensive comparatively.
    So far i haven't seen any good rpg in ios, but music games that i recommended above will be enjoyable, i guarantee it. I am a rhythm game buff myself.

    ReplyDelete