Tuesday 27 November 2012

Should There Be New Versions?

So I was thinking about the Wii U launch and how retailers and gamers alike are hoping that new hardware blood will reinvigorate the dying retail gaming industry.  Then I thought to myself:  why not have console iterations the same way we have new versions of iPhones or Samsung Galaxies every year?

Just as quickly I dismissed that as a stupid idea.

The best part about the current console generation is how static it is.  No more having to worry about getting the latest versions of the Xbox or the Playstation.  Personally, I'm as happy as a clam not to have to shell out close to a thousand bucks every five years (for two systems).

But there's more than that.  Who would care about buying new versions of home consoles every year or so?  It's not like a mobile phone.  One can say that part of the appeal of a new phone is showing it off everywhere you go.  But unless you lug your PS4 on the bus most people won't be able to see how awsome you are.  Is it any wonder that the only handheld consoles have a million versions?  DS Lite, XL, PSP, Go, whatever.  Yet, for consoles, there's pretty much the launch boxes and... slims.  That's it.

So no, I don't think it's going to work.  Will probably piss people off if anyone tries.  Personally, I don't know how people put up with new versions of the same tablets and phones year after year.  Maybe I'm wrong, and these same people don't mind buying virtually identical consoles year after year.  There are probably people who own slim versions of the Xbox or PS3 even if their older models still work.

Personally, I hope not.  But... I can see Microsoft trying to do something like this though.

2 comments:

  1. No, there should not be new iterations of consoles besides a slim version. One reason is because consoles are way more costly than a handheld (usually). Also, consoles are generally way larger than handhelds -- it's not as easy to dispose of a PS3 than a PSP or PSVita.

    Another thing -- new phone models can be picked up at almost no cost if you go with a contract. You'd be hard-pressed to find a promotion like that with consoles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the Phone... Well, it depends on the Phone. I have a three year contract for my iPhone and I STILL had to pay nearly 300 bucks for it after tax. And the iPhone is the thing coming out with new versions year after year! I think... if someone were to take out a three year contract since the iPhone 4, they would be up to 9 years after the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5...

    ReplyDelete